Everything for Electronics

From the Q&A

With TJ Byers

Compactron Tube Sockets, Anyone?


Over the past several months, I've acquired some vacuum tubes with 12 pins on the bottom. Does anyone have any idea where I can get 12-pin sockets for these tubes? I've looked at various places on the Internet, but didn't find much to choose from.

Wayne C. Green, Jr.
via Internet


What you have is called a compactron, a stop-gap method for prolonging the life of the vanishing vacuum tube. Essentially, they placed three tubes in one envelope to reduce board space and inventory. Tube World at 920-208-0353; www.tubeworld.com has a good inventory of odd tube sockets, including the 12-pin compactron type.